Heli-Kit News #221, 20-Sep-06
1. Following close on the heels of their Platt LePage XR-1 / XR-1A Anigrand's latest in their excellent series of prototype rotary-winged aircraft is #AA-2063, the Bell Model 409 / YAH-63 attack helicopter. This was Bell's entry in the 1972 US Army Advanced Attack Helicopter (AAH) competition, where it eventually lost out to the Hughes YAH-64 Apache. This 1:72 kit has 51 resin parts, all well up to the usual standard, plus the vacform canopy and a decal sheet that gives alternative markings for both prototypes.
2. Platz have released another version of the JASDF UH-60J in their 'Rescue Wings' series. This one is #PF-3, and comes with the same double set of clear plastic and etched steel parts as the previous issues (PF-1 and PF-2, HKN #220), but with a new decal sheet giving markings for a spectacular JASDF 40th anniversary scheme featuring a dragon which runs along the length of the fuselage.
3 Italeri's 1:48 ACH-47A Chinook #2647 is not just an upscaled version of their 1:72 kit; this one features 'highly detailed interiors' mostly inaccurate or just plain fictitious. However, the advent of the first injection moulded 1:48 Chinook has been widely welcomed, and there is much speculation on both the likely appearance of further 1:48 Chinooks from the same source, and on the aftermarket possibilities. Decals are provided for 64-13149 'Easy Money' and 64-13151 'Stump Jumper', as well as for 64-13145 in it's pre-delivery testing scheme.
4 Hasegawa are making two re-issue Apache kits in 'Iraqi Freedom' markings. #00825 will be a 1:72 AH-64A, while #09698 is a 1:48 sharkmouth AH-64D Longbow and is available now.
5. Amodel have released a new version of their Kamov Ka-62, this time in 'Russian Civil Aviation' markings, #72049. (A Ka-32 with skis was shown in the Amodel 2001 catalogue with this part number, but it has never appeared).
Conversions, Details & Accessories
6. Fireball Modelworks are planning a new 1:72 resin external conversion set for the USCG HH-60J Jayhawk, including complete decals to build any Jayhawk in the inventory. The base kit can be either the Hasegawa SH-60B or the Italeri HH-60H. These photos show some of the pre-production parts and the way they look on the model.
The decals will probably also be up-scaled to 1:48 and offered separately.
Just released is "The Guardian", a new Kevin Costner movie about USCG rescue swimmers; maybe it will do for the Jayhawk what "Black Hawk Down" did for the MH-60 and Littlebirds.
7. A 1:48 IsraCast conversion set to make the IDF/AF AH-64D-I 'Saraf' is now available from IsraDecal. Set #IC48012 is suitable for the Hasegawa Longbow kits, and comprises 37 resin parts and a photo-etched sheet. A separate decal sheet #IAF-53 is also available, see HKN #218.
Thanks to Shuuichi Manei and Joseph Osborn.
If you buy something as a result of reading about it in Heli-Kit News, please remember to tell them that you saw it here. This will encourage the flow of more news in the future, and maybe we'll even get the occasional review sample!