Heli-Kit News #153, 08-Oct-02
1. Cobra Company have released their 1:72 540 'door hinge' rotor system for the Italeri UH-1C and the Monogram AH-1G, item #72014. This set comprises two blades and a hub assembly that fits to the Italeri and Monogram rotorshafts.
Work is nearing completion on an 1:35 AH-1W NTS upgrade set for the MRC/Academy/Italeri AH-1W, this will hopefully be available soon after the
Two Bobs decal sheet for this aircraft.
2. The first releases in the new Panda 1:35 Heliborne Series are said to have been released, though we have no confirmation of this at present. In addition to the list published in HKN #152, it now seems that the first two kits have each been (or will be) issued in two variants as follows:
Mikerian Mercantile, a Canadian importer, are showing a number of built-up pictures of these two UH-1D kits, apparently taken from the sides of the boxes (though no figures are shown). On this evidence the only difference between them is in the decals provided, although the 'Wasps' aircraft is still being described as a gunship. If you have seen either of these kits (which are believed to be scaled up from the 1:48 Italeri kits) please let us know what you have observed.
- 35005, UH-1D 1st Cav.
- 35005a, UH-1D 1st Cav., with Vietnam Helicopter Crew figure set
- 35006, UH-1D 'Wasps'
- 35006a, UH-1D 'Wass'p, with Vietnam Helicopter Crew figure set
3. Revell have released two new versions of old 1:32 kits:
- 4473, MBB Bo-105 PAH 1 'Tiger 16'
- 4428, EC135 'Polizei'
4. Fujimi are planning the following releases, some of them re-issues with new decals:
5. Roco continue to expand their range of 1:87 (HO) models with:
- 31106 1:48 AH-1S Cobra 'Shark Mouth'
- 35001 1:72 Flight Deck Crews & MD-3 Tractor
- 35002 1:72 Fire Engine
- 35003 1:48 Flight Deck Crews Set
- 72136 1:72 KV-107II Naha Base Okinawa Markings
- 72138 1:72 KV-107II JGSDF Last Flight Marking
6. Model Art's somewhat delayed Commando HC.4 sheet #72/042 is now available. The HC.4 options provided are all from 707 NAS, RNAS Yeovilton:
- 719, UH-1D, white UN
- 721, CH-53G, white UN
Also on the sheet are a selection of French P-47 Thunderbolts, and some Grumman Geese.
- ZD478 / VM, 1994 - 707 NAS 50th anniversary scheme
- ZA313 IFOR, 1996 - helo olive & white zebra stripes
- ZA297 SFOR, 2000 - colours as above
7. Model Alliance / The Aviation Workshop will be launching a new range of decals in both 1:72 and 1:48 scales, included in the first batch of releases will be #MA-004, Westland Sea Kings. Included on this comprehensive sheet will be:
Their first injection moulded kit, the AS350 Squirrel, has been delayed until 2003 "because of the recent floods in the Czech Republic". This will be produced in four versions, as listed previously:
- HC.4 Commando, Gulf war, KFOR, IFOR & SFOR plus standard schemes
- AEW.2, D-Day anniversary scheme with black & white stripes
- HAR.3/3A, RAF yellow SAR schemes, both Squadrons, plus the grey Falklands aircraft.
- HAS.5/6, to be advised, but expected to include Gulf War, red & grey and current grey aircraft
The S-76 injection moulded kit is also progressing, and for late 2003 or early 2004 they are hoping to release the first Commando HC.4 kit. They are also working on the masters for a new Westland Scout / Wasp.
- AS350 Squirrel with RAF & ALAT decals
- AS355 Twin Squirrel with RAF Queens Flight & DERA decals
- AS350B Squirrel with Australian Army & Navy decals
- AS 555 Fennec with ALAT & Danish Army decals.
8. Blue Rider have released two new decal sheets with helicopter content:
9. ExtraTech have issued an etched brass detail set, #72139, for the 1:72 Italeri H-21 Shawnee.
- BR-813 1:72 'Albanian Air Force 1992-2000' includes a pair of serials for the Alouette III ZA-XHP.
- BR-602 '1:48 Mongolian Air Force 1940-94' includes the Mi-8 white 3194 and the Mi-24D yellow 02, with a serial and a Mongolian red star 'roundel' for each side of each machine.
10. Eduard's October schedule includes:
Eduard say that "the 1:48th AH-64A Apache set has probably the most detailed dashboard ever seen on any of our projects".
- 49209, 1:48 AH-64A Apache, colour photo-etched set (Hasegawa)
- FE209, 1:48 AH-64A Apache, 'Zoom series' photo-etched set (Hasegawa)
- XF186, 1:48 Mi-24 Hind, Express mask (Trumpeter)
- XF188, 1:48 OH-13 Sioux, Express mask (Italeri)
11. Airwaves plan to release a Sea King HAS.2 / HAS.5 / HAR 3 resin and brass conversion for the Hasegawa / Revell 1:48 SH-3 kits. This will be #SC48106, and is expected to be available for Scale ModelWorld 2002 in November.
Also from Airwaves will be #SC48108, the Royal Navy Mk.11 Airborne Droppable Depth Charge, for use with the 1:48 Sea King.
12. The new 1:72 Mi-24 resin sets (HKN #150) from Ciro will be:
13. Aviapress are advertising a new Russian book, the title of which appears to translate as 'Exotic Helicopter Schemes'. This appears to concentrate on Russian experimental and prototype helicopters and rotorcraft, though it remains to be seen whether any of the content is new.
- C-010, Mi-24D detail
- C-011, Mi-24V detail
- C-012, Mi-24RCH conversion
14. Kits Discount are publishing a book on the SH-60 Seahawk, this English & French language publication should be available around the end of October and will have 40 colour pages including the SH-60B, SH-60F, and HH-60H.
15. Published by Airlife, 'US Special Operations Command in Action' by Patrick Allen has 150 colour photographs, many of them showing US Special Ops helicopters.
16. The most recent issue of the IPMS Swedish SIG newsletter includes a very comprehensive article on the history of marking schemes carried by the KV-107 HKp 4. This includes content and drawings from the Swedish publication Allt om Hobby, as well as new material from a variety of other sources, including colour photos. For more details contact Ted Burnett.
Thanks to Chris Miller (Cobra Company), Philippe Dognon (Kits Discount), Tony Morgan, Gary Madgwick (Model Alliance), Jean-Pierre Desprez (Model Art), Ted Burnett, and 'Dave R'.