Heli-Kit News #78, 28-Feb-00
1. Revell's #4456 Agusta A109 'Military' due for release in April will be an A109KM (Koala, Military) of the South African National Defence Force. #4460, the S-55/H-19 due for release in August is shown in their catalogue in an orange-red US Navy SAR scheme.
2. Meanwhile, Revell's #4461 Bell 412 KLu 'SAR' has been released this week. This is the Italeri mould first seen in 1997, reboxed with one small additional sprue with parts for Klu flotation gear. The KLu decals are a considerable improvement over the ones supplied with Italeri #084, as well as updating the markings to the current scheme. The options provided are for all three KLu machines (R-01, R-02, R-03) of 303 SAR Sqn, 1999, plus markings for Griffon HT.1 ZJ238 / 'Y' of RAF 60 (Reserve) Sqn. (Defence Helicopter Flying School) at RAF Shawbury, also 1999.
3. Congratulations to Aeromaster on the release of their very first helicopter decals. These are for a pair of grey and white 1:48 US Navy SH-3H Sea Kings (BuNos 148990 & 149717), and are part of the special issue #SP48-14 which covers 15 aircraft of the the USS Nimitz CVN-68 Carrier Air Wing 8, 1977/78.
4. As first annnounced (following the IPMS UK Nats last year) in HKN #60, Model Art Decals will be releasing sheets including Gazelles (RN Sharks anniversary scheme), and the Sea King HAS.6 Tiger scheme (picture HKN #70). These are scheduled to appear in May.
5. Mach-2 will be releasing an Alouette II in 1:72 scale. It's very hard to imagine this being better than the ExtraTECH version released at the end of 1998.
6. Revell/Monogram's 1:48 AH-1G #5444 has been re-issued.
7. Heller will be releasing an OH-58 Kiowa in 1:48 scale. I imagine this will be a re-boxing of the Fujimi mould, but it could also be the Esci one.
8. The range of BlackMagic masks from Cutting Edge continues to expand. Adding to the lists in HKN #47, #61 & #70, the new issues are:
- CEBM48312 Revell H-34 canopy & wheel masks
- CEBM48382 Special Hobby R-4 canopy & wheel masks
- CEBM48413 Fujimi Gazelle canopy masks
- CEBM48415 Italeri AH-1T canopy masks
- CEBM48417 Esci OH-58 canopy masks
- CEBM48418 Fujimi AH-1S canopy masks
- CEBM48419 Fujimi MD500 canopy masks
- CEBM48422 Fujimi Wasp canopy & wheel masks
- CEBM48423 Fujimi Alouette III canopy masks
- CEBM48432 Revell Tiger HAP canopy & wheel masks
- CEBM48433 Hasegawa MD500 canopy masks
- CEBM48439 Airfix AH-64 canopy & wheel masks
- CEBM48454 Esci Bo-105 PAH-1 canopy masks
The first two are already released, the rest are to come. I have no idea what kit is referred to in 72110, I'm assuming there's a misprint in there somewhere.
- CEBM72110 Academy UH-12 canopy & wheel masks
- CEBM72112 Italeri Mangusta canopy & wheel masks
- CEBM72115 Italeri SH-60B canopy & wheel masks
9. Download this file for your own animated helicopter screensaver.
10. Robert Lundin has an aircraft walk-around website which includes the following:
Thanks to Matt Bacon, Petr Zaoral & Pete Tasker.
- Bell 216 LongRanger (Swedish Police SE-HPL)
- Aerospatiale SuperPuma (Flygvapnet SAR)
- Bell 47G
- Sikorsky S-51 (Thai AF Museum, Bangkok, 1994)
- Bristol Sycamore (XJ918, Cosford 1996)
- Cierva C-30 Autogyro (Tekniska Museet in Stockholm in 1999)
- Vertol V44B (coming soon)